Third Annual BEAT Membership Meeting - May 6, 2019
At the 3rd Annual BEAT Membership Meeting
Brunswick Electric, Route 17 North - Supply, NC
Presentations and activities included:
* 2019 BEAT Annual environmental awards!
BEAT "Friend of the Environment Award" to Ms. Marilyn Priddy and
BEAT "Distinguished Service Award" to Dr Richard Hilderman.
Guest Speaker (including questions/answer session & discussion)
Derb S. Carter Jr., Director of the North Carolina offices of the Southern Environmental Law Center was a guest speaker on May 6, 2019. Derb Carter discussed litigation related to offshore drilling and seismic testing proposals and how the litigation is preventing the current administration from drilling off our Coast. This is incredibly timely since the towns of Sunset Beach, Oak Island, and Caswell Beach have just joined on in the Amicus Brief to prevent Offshore Drilling off the Coast of Brunswick County and the entire coast of the Southeastern United States.
* Introduction of New Officers
* Committee Reports including the Plastic-free Movement
* Treasurer's Report and description of 2 new Outstanding Grants Awarded to BEAT including the $5,000 Grant from OCEANA that was awarded to BEAT and plans that BEAT has for using these funds.
* Save Our Coast! Clean Drinking Water! Plastic Free Environment!
* Reorganization Plans (please review the organization chart below) designed to help BEAT better understand environmental issues, related policies and citizen concerns in all areas of Brunswick County.